Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Retro Game Challenge "Off to a Strong Start"

Sequel to be announced as US-bound?

I got some great news in my inbox today. In response to a message I'd written to XSEED Games, I've received confirmation that "[Retro Game Challenge] is off to a strong start." The best part? Ken at XSEED also stated, "We'll definitely do what we can to obtain rights to the sequel."

And trust me, you want the sequel. No, just listen to me: You do.

Keep in mind they've made no official announcements that I'm aware of, but I think we can look forward to one in the future. For those of us who've been supporting
Retro Game Challenge 502%, this is certainly a happy time. The follow-up, out soon in Japan, looks absolutely fantastic.

Will you import or wait for the English?

Speaking from my own personal research, which, admittedly, is not all-encompassing, it does seem as though Retro Game Challenge has actually sold more briskly than anticipated, no doubt due to steadfast championing from faithful journos and generally favorable reviews (the lower scores are, clearly, from the minds of madmen). Many stores have it on backorder, or did, and even Amazon.com sold through its initial shipment (with more now in stock).

RGC's Guadia Quest? RPG of the year.

I'm sure as soon as any official announcements are made, the internet will be abuzz. Until then, let's keep our fingers crossed (and if you haven't bought the game yet, for God's sake, buy it!). I think we'll be seeing more from Arino and the wonderful world of fake retro games soon.

Even better fake retro games in the sequel--to say I'm hyped is an understatement.

Also, keep a look out for my review, to be posted here soon. (Preview: I like it. A whole damn lot.)

Don't know what the hell any of this is about? Let Ray Barnholt fill you in. He gets paid for this stuff.

Jesse Dylan Watson is a retro kinda guy; he likes old music, old games, and even old TV. Fire up some Xena: Warrior Princess!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

You've Been Warned: Top 6 Helpful Alerts for New York State

Warning! You may be at risk of reading.

In honor of New York state's proposing a bill which would require retailers to post advisory signs indicating video games may cause epileptic seizures (reported via Wired's Game [silent bar] Life), I have devised six more problematic areas in which the government may wish to inform New Yorkers of clearly impending disaster.

#6 Times Square may cause epileptic seizure.

As a personal anecdote, I was watching ABC News with Brian Williams, and his bobbing chin, inflated to galactic proportions upon the Megatron, sent me into a near bout of demonic possession. Later, I realized it was just gas.

Public transportation may cause exposure to urine.

Long recognized by many as an economical, convenient way to travel, the subways and buses of New York are also recognized by others as an economical, convenient location for bladder unloading.

#4 Hooker feeding may cause illicit sex.

You're thinking to yourself, hey, she's got a family, mouths to feed..., so you toss her a pastrami on rye. Little did you know her mouth wasn't the only thing that needed feeding, and she's on you like grease on a NYC-style pizza (see #2); suddenly the boys in blue are on your back, all for your charitable behavior. It was all her fault. Of course.

#3 Hobo feeding may cause illicit sex.

It's happened to 90% of the population; the other 10% lies about it. Except me.

#2 Local cuisine may cause bloated fat cells.

...among other serious, life-threatening issues. The addition of a pickle does not create a balanced meal.

#1 Breeding with upstate New Yorkers may cause larger gene pool.

As more and more fresh blood finds its way to the fields and woods of the North-Eastern United States, the long-preserved, endemic European immigrant population is in danger of disappearance. Don't let that happen.

#0 Visiting New York after writing a top 6 may cause "accidents".

I've been warned.

Jesse Dylan Watson kept asking himself, "What would Scott Sharkey do?".